Thursday, June 28, 2007

Coppertone Baby Found on Kenyan Coast at Age 23

I would certainly love law school a lot more if it even momentarily represented my current "law school" experience!!

After we returned from Samburu last weekend we had two class days and then hopped a plane to Diani Beach, which is located on the southern Kenya coast near the Tanzania boarder. We arrived Thursday morning to the most amazing resort I have ever seen, we pull into the grand entrance and can see the ocean from the drive way. It took most of us under 10 minutes to get to our room and get into our bathing suits and get back to the pool. Since it is winter now the heat wasn't unbearable, it was around 80 degrees during the day and 70 at night with the ocean being roughly 65, more humid than the city is but really pleasant. Our days were filled with nothingness, which is an amazing feeling that verged to guilt that we subdued with the free booze since it was all-inclusive!! I laid by the pool for 6 hours a day, pulling myself away to accomplish the necessary tasks such as getting more booze (damned monkeys weren't trainable to fetch cocktails) and eating at an amazing restaurant. The beach was feet away and while laying by the pool or getting a hot stone massage (yup, did that too), you could hear the waves breaking. I would have much preferred laying in the pure white sand but time on the beach was less than relaxing as the curio shops seemed to grow legs and men hocking carved objects wouldn't leave us alone. Despite this, we did get some amazing time in the water. The waves were relatively small since about 300 meters out there was a sand bar and reef which took the brunt of the open sea action. We played in the waves, floated around and tried our hardest to avoid the GIANT (feet, plural, feet long pokers) sea urchins. When the tide came in and the sun went down, we enjoyed ourselves at the bar and the various evening activities arranged for us by the hotel. It is a German resort and I was beyond pleased to be eating German pretzels again. One evening, our entire group went to Ali Babu's Cave, a restaurant located in a naturally formed cave. For very little money, we had the most amazing meal I have had in recent memory, honestly, I would have this as my last meal before execution, it was that good. We all dressed up, put make up on (an accomplishment itself as I haven't done my hair or face in WEEKS), brought out the proper manners (some better than others on all fronts) and had a great meal. It was so much fun, well worth the annoyance of planning it. After four days in the sun I browned up nicely! Even a Kenyan on the beach commented on my nice color and was curious if I was an ex-pat from here. My tan lines are kinda ridiculous but worth it to be SO tan.

We are now back in dirty smelly Nairobi. To make up for our two day week last week, we are suffering through five days this week. But, to the program's credit, it has been broken up nicely, we went to the UN yesterday instead of environmental law class. The head of the United Nations Environment Program legal division talked with us. I could easily see myself taking my legal degree and putting it to use in that department. It was really interesting, plus getting to walk up the delegates walk way under all the flags of the UN was amazing. I am surprised none of our kids got arrested. The UN is directly across the street from the US Embassy and some our trouble making boys ran across the street and were standing outside "demanding" entry and then stood there and saluted. It's illegal to take pictures of the Embassy, I would hate to know what trying to break in would be!

Tomorrow is our last day of school for the week and then I have my first full weekend in Nairobi. Saturday we are doing the super tourist things, giraffe kissing, petting baby elephants, animals orphanage and Sunday I plan on watching the entire first season of Lost. THEN Monday morning a small group of us depart for EGYPT (I still can't believe it is true!). We fly to Cairo, spend a day there seeing the pyramids (we may even get tickets to go in the pyramid) and the sphinx and the Egyptian museum, then we fly south to a place where we board a ship and cruise down/up the Nile for three days stopping at different places each day, ending in Luxor, which is in southern Egypt and is the site of the Valley of the Kings. Then we fly back to Cairo on Saturday, see all the mosques, churches and go to the market then fly back to Nairobi Monday morning. It should be amazing.

After Egypt I only have two weeks of class left, two days of finals and then off to Zanzibar then home August 1. Someone pointed out to me that I have 33 days left. Not sure where time is going but I am certainly having fun every second!!

No comments: