Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Tales from the Bush Part 2

HABARI!

I am here at the Rift Valley Children's Village outside of Karatu, Tanzania. It is amazing. I honestly did not know what to expect, the web site certainly did not do this place justice. The drive from the lodge took about an hour on one of the worst dirt roads I have ever experienced, but in typical African fashion it phased no one but me. The road wove through corn fields, wheat fields and coffee plantations. I arrived during dinner time, so the place was quiet, something I did not expect from an orphanage. "The Site" as the kids refer to it is made up of a volunteer house, where I stay, two children's houses with 12 kids in each, two volunteers and two mamas, staff houses, football pitches and construction for future buildings. The site is located on the side of the Ngorongoro crater, so the view greeting me in the morning is just amazing, million dollar real estate in the third world.

The kids are amazing. Given what they have each gone through (from beatings, to AIDS, to near death from hunger), they are all so fabulous. It is shocking to me that in under a week I have fallen in love with each of them and honestly fear leaving because I am so attached. I have never been hugged more in my life. I help with everything from 6am getting out of bed, 7am to school, 9am walk, lunch time, nap time, play time, snack time, bath time and bed time. They are so full of energy, easily draining mine! Despite the long hours, it is all worth it when someone comes running up to hug you or kiss you or show you something they have done. It is hard to write it all down, the pictures will help once I get them onto my computer.

There is never want for excitement here, as the elephants have recently discovered the surrounding corn. Every evening all the volunteers and the local towns people go bounding through the corn in search of elephants. Most days we find them. They are a huge problem, easily leveling an entire season of corn in a night. But it is hilarious most of the time. Everyone laughing and screaming, but I try to remember this is also insanely dangerous! Everything is an adventure here!!

1 comment:

cschnurr said...

Africa sounds marvelous! I miss you!!